Friends of Little Saigon is hiring a Community Engagement Coordinator to organize and implement strategies that inspire, motivate and mobilize Little Saigon community stakeholders.
Established since 2011, FLS have been pivotal to increasing the visibility of the Little Saigon and Vietnamese community in Seattle. Now reaching our 8th year, we’re growing and looking to build a team that can address increasingly complex issues, such as displacement and gentrification.
As part of the Chinatown International District, Little Saigon is centrally located in the changing urban environment of Downtown Seattle. Over the last decade, growth in the city has created significant impacts to the surrounding communities, such as the increasing number of new developments, high housing prices, and added policy and regulatory burdens on small businesses. So how do you control these changes and empower our communities to fight back? It comes down to community organizing and engagement. The more awareness of the changes, impacts, and ways to take action, the more we’re empowered to prevent displacement and build strong communities.
Come join a team of community leaders and advocates to preserve and enhance Little Saigon’s cultural, economic, and historic vitality!
Outreach & Engagement:
- Develop and implement a community engagement plan with strategies/tactics as approved.
- Develop ways to assist business owners understand public policies, how it impacts their business(es), and how they can address problems and concerns and/or access resources.
- Evaluate engagement strategies, tactics and activities, recommend changes and implement as approved, to improve effectiveness.
- Guide, assist, train and support volunteers involved in community engagement.
- Identify potential community partners, and as approved build lasting and reciprocal relationships.
- Create opportunities for early community involvement to identify community needs and shape solutions in partnership and in support of other organizations.
- Identify and remove barriers for culturally and economically diverse communities to lead and participate in FLS activities.
- Use training, one-on-one interviews, and small group meetings and other facilitation techniques to engage small businesses and community stakeholders in proactive community problem solving activities.
- Collaborate with community partners to successfully accomplish FLS and community goals.
Operations & Administration:
- Recruit, orient, train and coordinate volunteers for projects and events.
- Maintain accurate records and prepare reports related to program activities.
- Report to supervisor and as needed present to Board of Directors, on the status of or issues involved in activities.
- Create approved content for social media and online communications around FLS activities.
- Support other programs and activities as assigned.
- Two years paid or unpaid experience in volunteer management, community relations, project management, community organizing or other related areas.
- Proficient in Vietnamese.
- Competent use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and willingness to learn new applications.
- Ability to identify innovative ways for technology to support organizational objectives.
- Ability to multitask, problem-solve, prioritize, delegate, and to create systems and processes necessary for project management.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple priorities, and able to react and adjust quickly to changing conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary for managing and enhancing internal organizational relations and external community interactions.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Available for evening and weekend work.
Terms of Employment
$18.00 an hour; Part Time; 0.5 FTE; contract (1099) position for one (1) year with opportunity for full-time employment.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Position will remain open until filled. Priority consideration for applications received by Tuesday, April 3, 2018.