Little Saigon Creative Space Exhibit
Deadline: Monday, March 9th 2020 at 5:00pm
The Friends of Little Saigon is opening a community space, called the Little Saigon Creative space, anticipated to open in Spring 2020. This space will house FLS’s programs that support small businesses, increase community’s access to resources, showcase Vietnamese culture, and be a place to gather. To celebrate this success, Owning It will be the theme for the Little Saigon Creative space launch of the first art exhibit. The definition of Owning It can vary through different perspectives. The goal of this theme is to understand what Owning It means, what it means to own your space, your identity, your culture, and your power.
Friends of Little Saigon seeks art from emerging and professional artists who identify as a Vietnamese American to share the diverse perspectives and experiences of the theme Owning it, how different individuals define ownership of their culture, identity, space, and power. This exhibit will be displayed for 6 months at Little Saigon Creative space.
About the Organization
Friends of Little Saigon (FLS) is a grassroots community development organization launched in January 2011 and composed of small business owners and community stakeholders. Our programs focus on community organizing and advocacy, economic development, and cultural preservation. In early 2018, FLS was awarded funding from Seattle’s Office of Arts & Culture and the Equitable Development Initiative to lease and build-out a small Cultural Gathering and Creative Space. This space has the ability to hold programs, host community gatherings, and exhibit the history and stories of Little Saigon and the Vietnamese American experience. The goal of this project is to provide a community-controlled space that can support and anchor the small businesses, residents, and the community. The Little Saigon Creative space will include an art exhibit highlighting and advocating Vietnamese American experiences and identity. Our goal for the art exhibit is to create opportunities to strengthen relationships and showcase local Vietnamese and Southeast Asian artists and designers.
The selection of the art will be a community process and will go through a selection committee. The community selection committee will be comprised of a diverse panel of community members from various art and community backgrounds. Below are some of the selection criteria:
- Artistic excellence: Mastery of skills and techniques, communication of unique vision or perspective, professional approaches to process and presentation.
- Collaborative experience: Experience working in a collaborative environment or demonstrated willingness to work in a collaborative/community environment.
- Experience with the Vietnamese American and/or Asian Pacific American communities: Experiences working with the Vietnamese American community or with the Asian Pacific American Communities along with understanding the identity, challenges, and culture.
- Familiarity with Vietnamese communities in Seattle: Is the artist familiar with the Vietnamese community in Seattle? Is the artist familiar with the Little Saigon area?
- Representation: Does the artist and artwork represent a notion or idea valued by sectors of the Vietnamese American community? Is the artist a representative of the community?
Benefits of Participating
- Exposure and exclusive showcase of art for 6 months.
- Invitation to opening celebration.
- Network and meet other artists.
- Opportunity to sell art pieces if applicable.
- Selected artists will receive a stipend of $200.
This call is open to artists/individuals residing in King County, Washington State. Please Submit:
- Cover letter answering the following questions:
- How do you define “owning it”?
- Why is “owning it” important to you?
- How does your art portray this message on ownership?
- How do you and/or your art piece relate to the Vietnamese experience?
- Copy of your proposed artwork, please provide sample images if applicable (do not send original artwork or photographs).
- Sizing and format of pieces.
- Artists can submit more than 1 piece.
Please send submissions to:
Friends of Little Saigon at email@example.com with title “Owning It Exhibit Art Submission”.
Required materials must be received no later than Monday, March 9th 2020 by 5:00pm. We will not review incomplete or late submissions.
- January 17, 2020 – Call for Art opens
- March 9, 2020 – Submissions are due at 5:00pm
- Mid March – April 2020 – Applicants are notified
- April 2020 – Logistics for installation of artwork and contracts are signed
- May 2020 – Art Exhibit Opening